Oratory of the Holy cross - Devotion, history and legend
On the outskirts of Porreres, along the old road to Palma and Santanyí, there stood in the 18th century a boundary cross known as the Creu d’en Net, the object of great popular devotion on account of the healings and miracles attributed to it. This fervour led to the construction of a Latin cross oratory in 1722. During the 19th century, the growing number of worshippers prompted several renovations, including the raising of the walls and the construction of the current vault in 1864. In the 20th century the high altar was redecorated and the Holy Cross was placed behind the altar to make veneration easier. The building, plain and austere with a single nave and side chapels, opens only on the first Sunday of May, when the feast of the Cross is celebrated. The memory of this devotion is kept alive through the Llibre dels Miracles — the Book of Miracles.